Monday, July 28, 2008

Oops I did it again...

Well, I did it again. For the second time in only a few short months, I managed to lock myself and my children out of our home. The first time was quite comical. Briana was taking a nap (and it was when Rog worked deep nights, so he was inside sleeping) and Brooke and I went outside to jump on the trampoline. Baby monitor in hand, but cell phone left safely in the house, off we went. Jake & Lanita came by and the kids started playing - some in and out of the house. At some point, I'm guessing the lock got turned just a little on the back door and set it in lock position. The kids wanted a drink of water, so I tried the back door - no luck. We tried every door, every window - locked tight. After several calls to Roger's cell phone and our home phone, we ended up calling (from Lanita's phone) the police department to get them to page Roger (the one number I don't have memorized). They paged him twice and no luck waking him up. Anyhoo...after much banging on the bedroom windows, we woke Roger up and were able to get back in the house - just in time for Briana to wake up from her nap.

So, yesterday afternoon, the girls and I had a play date with friends at our neighborhood pool. We were to meet them at 4:00. 3:58, I'm loading them in the car to drive over to the pool and I realize I left my keys in the house. No biggie, right? WRONG! I guess when the girls opened the door into the garage, the little lock got turned just enough to lock the door into the house. Once again, I'm faced with Fort Knox. Oh and yeah, my phone was laying on the counter safely with my keys (so I wouldn't forget either...). You would have thought the last time would have taught me to stash a key somewhere, but that's just too risky - someone might be able to find it and get in! We walk over to Lanita's house to use her phone and call Roger, who is at work, to ask him to come unlock the house and then rely on Lanita's kind heart to drive us to the pool so our friends weren't sitting there wondering what happened to us. Right about the time we got ready to head back to the house, Roger (my white knight in shining armor....although it was more like my uniformed police officer in his squad car yesterday) showed up to drive us back home and unlock the house.

Here's hoping I don't have a 'third times a charm' in the locking my family out of our home department. I'm sure this is all payback for all those years I laughed uncontrollably and made countless jokes about Mom locking the keys to the car (both sets) in the trunk of our car, in the parking lot of Six Flags. More proof that I am my mother's child. ;)

2 comments:

Babbsie said...

Okay, you would think from the countless keyless moments in my life alone that you would find some way to keep a key or a way into your house so that does not happen. Funny thing is, that happened to my neighbor this morning too. Make sure and give Lanita a key to your house and then put one somewhere else in case that this happens again to you. This coming from someone who just leaves a window unlocked in case that it happens to me again. I do have a spare but it is in a bag that I carry only on occasion....okay, blah blah blah...enough about the keys already.

The Moose said...

girl, you need to meet some neighbors and give them a key! Can't tell you how many times it comes in handy --- like when you realize you've left your flat iron plugged in for ...oh, 4+ hours.... nice.