Thursday, May 28, 2009

May 26th: bug bite

Well, we went quite a haul without having to visit our favorite pediatrician Dr M. Especially since last year we were there every time the antibiotics ran out. I think I should have gotten a frequent buyer card or something!
Anyway, we just went to get some cream for a bug bite on her head that had gotten infected. Now, Briana really isn't a fan of sweet Dr. M. I don't understand it, but I don't disparage her for feeling that way either. He's really a very kind man and a wonderful doctor. Brooke adores him. But for some reason (I blame the ear infections), Briana is seriously not a fan. Well, today she walked in to the office (a first - I usually carry her) and stopped in the hallway to talk to Dr. M.
WOW!
We both remarked at her progress and laughed that maybe she'd finally turned the corner. We went in to the yellow room where I told the nurse what the problem was. Still, everything was beautiful (Could it be true? Could I have two children who don't mind going to the doctor?? I was getting so hopeful and feeling so accomplished.) We went back in to the hallway where the nurse took her temperature and again - no tears.
Then...
we went around the corner to the scale. Now, mind you, the girl is two and hardly has reason to fear a scale at this point in her life. She hopped up on the scale and stood there for a while. The numbers flipped up to 29.6 but she kept wiggling and so the numbers kept moving - 31.4, 28.7, 30.6, etc. So the nurse asked her to put her hands by her side.
That's
when
my
luck
ran
out.
I can't tell you the screams. Seriously, I feel that way when I get on a scale (which is RARE because I go by how my clothes feel, not the numbers), but why was she so freaked out about this harmless little step. Hours passed (ok, really, it was minutes and maybe even just two of those - but it felt like hours as I tried helplessly to bribe, plead, force her on the scale). Finally, the nurse offered up a sucker if she'd get on the scale and stand still. She hopped up there and stood on the scale to get the number. So, we went back to the room to wait for Dr. M.
Here are both girls enjoying their suckers (see, you can't even tell she just spent hours - ok,ok, minutes - screaming).

Don't ask how the rest of the visit went. Suffice it to say I do not, I repeat, do NOT have two children who don't mind going to the doctor.

1 comment:

Babbsie said...

Gracie pulls the same stuff on the scales at her pediatricans office. I don't get it?