Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fireman's Park

We celebrated the Fourth of July weekend in Graham visiting with Gramma Ruby (who, incidentally, turned 90 in February) and Pawpa.  Saturday afternoon, we took the girls to a local park to let them run off some energy.  It was so nostalgic for me.  Mom and Dad would bring us here when we'd come visit family when we were kids.  In fact, I caught my first fish ever in this park (fishing used to be limited to kids under 12). 
It's such a pretty park situated on Salt Creek and the park is full of these beautiful, tall trees.
Having a little fun on the playground - for a while, we had the whole place to ourselves!
Mommy made us take a break from playing and snag a picture with Gramma Ruby and Pawpa
The girl sure does love her Pawpa, honestly - can you blame her??
Brookie loving on Gramma Ruby.  Gramma seemed to have the best time watching the girls play and talking to them.  The girls love being around their extended family and Gramma Ruby is no exception to that rule.  For so long, we saw her as often as we saw anyone else in the family.  Now with activities and school and everything else, we don't see her nearly as often, but the connection was still very apparent between the girls and Gramma.
Gramma taugh Brooke how to plow the rocks using her cane.  Of course, Briana had to take a turn too.  They'd plow some rows and then cover the rows back up. 
I had to take a picture of this picnic table.  When I go home, I'll have to find the picture of me - sitting on the top of the table, with my knees pulled tight up under my chin and my arms wrapped around my legs.  I think I was around 6 on this particular trip (this was the trip where I caught my first fish).  We'd been fishing with Mom and Dad and we'd seen turtles, geese, ducks...everything. After a while of fishing, Dad pointed something else out in the water and mentioned to us that it was some kind of a snake.  We all watched it for a while and as it got closer, we determined it was a water moccasin.  At that time, I was well aware of the danger of this type of snake and it terrified me.  So, I climbed up on the table and ducked for cover.
This table, this park, this off shoot of the creek bring back so many fond memories for me and make me smile so much.  Those were seriously some good times.

1 comment:

Mrs. Bianca said...

Very descriptive. Thanks for sharing the memory. Can't wait to see that picture!