Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sleep talking

Last night, Briana stayed up well past my bedtime (which, is roughly 2 hours before most 14 year olds call it a night - what?!  I'm old).  I usually sit in the room with the girls while they fall asleep and then leave the room.  yeah, yeah - Super Nanny would not approve, but some day soon my children aren't going to want me anywhere near them, so I'm relishing the giggles and quiet conversations we have just before they drift off to sleep.  And trust me - there are far greater fish for Super Nanny to fry in my mommy skills department.

Wait - what was I talking about?  Oh yeah, Briana - late night.

So, last night at 10:45, I told Briana I was leaving the room and going to bed because it was past my bedtime.  When I snuck back in the room at 11:00, she was out like a light (of course).  Anyway, tonight I'm putting the girls in bed and I tell them that I'm sitting in their room for 20 minutes and that's it.  About 15 minutes in, I tell Briana (who is still awake, squirming and wiggling trying to stay awake, all while Brooke has been fast asleep for 13.5 minutes) that she needs to go to sleep.  She tells me, "I am asleep, Mommy! You need to be quiet."  Of course, me being the brilliant Mommy that I am, I said, "if you are still talking to me, then you are not asleep" (I know, I know - better parents would have just walked away) to which she responds, "I AM asleep!"  Hey, at least the second time I didn't take the bait - I'm a fast learner.

No comments: