Monday, September 27, 2010

Generations

I've always thought one of the greatest benefits of my own "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" family is the incredibly strong females in it (and, really, that we all share just about everything with each other and are involved in each other's lives so much).  The matriarch of our family successfully raised five children which quickly became ten when they married and then that become upwards of 30 kids, grandkids and great grandkids, loves her husband with every fiber of her being (and they managed to show all of us that marriage is work, but it is well worth it), helps people in need, was (and is) a very active member of her church and ran a very successful business with her husband.  She is intelligent, beautiful, funny, passionate, talented, strong.  She has so many qualities that I love seeing in my own girls and I take great comfort in the example she sets for all our kids. 

She has seen too much tragedy too early in her life, but still she is kind, compassionate, optimistic, loving and graceful.    The girls and I spent the day with her and Cindy a couple of weeks ago and had so much fun.  I didn't take the camera out until we were about to leave but I got this terrific picture of Grammy and my girls.  I'm so glad they've got that same influence with them now.

Growing up, Grammy and Poppy lived about 3.5 blocks from us and we went to church together, had Sunday dinners together and spent so much time together.  She and Mom were always super close and the fact that my aunt was only 9 months younger than I was meant we had a lot of reasons to be together. She may not be three blocks from us now, but she is close enough for us to go spend the day with her at a moment's notice.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I adored your grandparents when we were growing up. Such nice people--not that the parents of my other friends weren't; it was just different.