Way back in March, a plan began brewing. It occurred to me and to Jenny that on Christmas day, our dad would be turning the big 6-0. To appropriately pull off any type of surprise, we knew we'd have to be super sneaky. Dad is, after all, the king of surprises and sneakiness.
So, we set out to conquer a surprise party. While Dad was visiting us one weekend, Jenny snuck on to his computer and emailed me the addresses of his friends. I emailed his friends and asked for mailing addresses. Then I sent invitations out. Since Jenny was graduating from college, we decided that was the perfect weekend for the party and cover for the surprise as well. SO, while I was busy planning a surprise party for Dad, I'd include him on a lot of the decisions, because he thought I was planning a surprise party for Jenny.
When the weekend came, Dad's job was to distract Jenny and then bring her to the party location just in time. When the two of them walked in, we all yelled "Surprise, Pete!"
He was pointing at Jenny telling her this was a surprise party for her and she was laughing and pointing back at him and telling him no, it wasn't.
Tammy stumbled upon this Old Forester whiskey flask at a country store this fall and snatched it up. It was PERFECT for the party.
This was right after he walked in - you can tell we really got him good. (Debbie, my mom's best friend, Dad and Jenny)
We were very pleased that several of Dad's friends were able to make the party - a couple of his classmates, some old co-workers and lots of family. I'd say all in all, he definitely felt the love (and so did Jenny and I).
I still have to keep pinching myself that we pulled off the surprise. I think he was too distracted by other things and that's what allowed us to be successful. Because he's always on to us when we're up to something (and we had plenty of almost slips!) He's threatened no Christmas for a while as punishment for our surprising ways. And you know, it was TOTALLY worth it! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment