Progress has been made on our room redecoration project. I came home one day last week to discover that my super fantastic hubby had painted the top 2/3rds of the wall and marked off where the chair rail will go. With the extremely pale lavendar color on the wall, the girls and I got started putting up the remaining five colors. First, we measured and taped off the stripes. I have this to say - laser levels are the best invention ever. Seriously.
We picked the colors to paint so that we could paint two colors/stripes at a time. First we set out with pink and orange. Brooke and Briana helped me for quite a while and then decided that painting stripes was work and they wanted to play. So I finished up coat 2 of the colors (Brooke painted 3/4 of the orange stripes in the room and did a fantastic job. Briana painted about 5 pink stripes and 1 orange stripe before she was done.
I must interject here to point out the special Wizard of Oz munchkin doll Briana is holding. For those of you who have been following our potty woes...that's right folks - she went "poo poo in the potty!" This weekend appears to have been a turning point for her and we are celebrating far more successes in that department - hooray!
Monday was a school (and work, for me) holiday. I sent the girls to their preschool/day care so that I could knock out some defensive driving (yeah, yeah, I'm a speed demon - those of you on Facebook know that already and those of you that love me and ride with me definitely know that already) and finish up the stripe painting. I made some great progress in both departments. Totally finished that defensive driving and knocked out all but 1 color in the stripe department. Last night, I knocked out the last stripe.
Brooke and I also got started on painting some happy flowers randomly on the wall - just to add a little fun flair to the top part of the walls. She's been given free reign on one wall and I think she's loving it. She did a really good job too - especially considering it was free hand drawing/painting and it was on a wall (slightly different sensation that on paper).
This one I'm obviously not finished with and still can't decide if I like it. There will be more finishing touches put on it before I decide to Kilz it and start over, but at this point, I'm almost thinking it's staying no matter.
Brooke's finished flower.
Here's a section of the wall without flowers - do you think it looks better or do you like the flowers. I'm torn and can't honestly decide. The girls like the flowers. I'm not sure Roger does - he's on the fence like I am.
Obviously, we have more to do - chair rail, touch up work, finish flowers and move the furniture back in. Hopefully we'll have more progress and finished room pictures up soon.
6 comments:
I like Brooke's flower, but I would look into finding some vinyl to put on the walls. That's gonna be such a LOVELY room!!!
and I say vinyl just because they can change it quickly. I was on the fence with Mari's room and I painted flowers, dragonflies, butterflies, and well, after the final paint-over I went with vinyl because I could change it on a whim.
I like the flowers. You can keep them for a while and kilz over them and paint it back white later!
Thanks, y'all! With the chair rail, the flowers really make the room look more finished. So, I think they are staying. We figure this room will last another 5 years then we'll have to change it again.
What is this Kilz stuff you guys are talking about? Sounds fun! Are you changing the bedding or any of the furniture?
Kilz is a primer type paint. It covers up every color and let's you start with a clean slate. We got the girls a new bed and new bedding and curtains. I'm really liking the new room.
Post a Comment