What a tremendous day in American History. Regardless of your political affilliation, history was made yesterday when we elected the first African American president. As I was watching the news at 10 last night, it occurred to me how many historic events I've witnessed in my lifetime and also made me wonder what all my girls will experience in theirs.
I am eternally grateful to live in a country where I have a voice. I vote in every election, right down to city elections because this is a right that was fought hard to win for me. I respect the gravity of that fight. I take my girls with me when I vote. I remember going with Mom when she voted and I want them to see the process in action so that they know it matters. When Brooke asked me this year who I voted for and why, I explained to her that I selected the man I thought would do the best job and some of the reasons I made the choices I made.
Last night was proof that, in America, we really can accomplish our dreams. It doesn't matter which party you may belong to, or even the color of your skin. Years ago, a small boy decided that he would become the President of the United States and he did it. 43 other little boys have lived that same dream. One day - it's gonna be a little girl. Just you wait. Yep, you may have to struggle and you definitely have to work hard, but you can make it happen. How many countries can you live in and make that same claim?
I will support our 44th President and I will pray for his safety and his decisions just like I've done since I turned 18 and got to vote. It may not mean I agree with every decision he's made, but I haven't agreed with every decision I've made (who has?!) but I can still chug along and continue to work to keep this country the best in the world. It doesn't boil down to one man making this nation great, it takes us all.
1 comment:
I completely agree and posted almost the same thing this morning!
Post a Comment