A couple of weeks ago, Lanita's daughter-in-law, Andrea, and granddaughter, Lily, came for a visit. What a great treat to get to be included in some of their family fun. Luke, Lanita's oldest son, is serving another tour of duty in Iraq. He left earlier this year and will be gone for around nine months. Lily is almost exactly one year younger than Briana, so she was only 3 months old when he left. I can't imagine the heart wrenching challenges this young family is dealing with. Every day I think of Luke and am grateful for his commitment to our country and our freedoms. I think about Lanita and being the mother of a soldier, I think about Andrea and being a first time mom and a new wife to a soldier
and I think about Lily and how much, even at 6 months old, she must miss her daddy. I think about Jacob and how proud he is that his older brother is a Marine and I'm amazed at how much he already gets 'it'. And each day I pray for Luke's safety and for peace, love and support to surround all five of them and the countless other family members who love them. What I'm reminded of each time I think about Luke is that in the end it really doesn't matter which side of the political fence you sit on, because what matters is that you get to chose that side of the fence and that Luke, and countless soldiers like him, fight wars and protect our country so that we can continue to chose that side and so that others may have the same opportunities that we have. I know that this family is not unique and I know that the strength of military families is beyond amazing. The reason I mention this particular family in my blog is because these five people touch my life on a daily basis and I love this family - they have become an extended part of my family.
No comments:
Post a Comment