Tonight, I can't sleep. The past three days I spent at my Gramma's house. In a bit of a family emergency, I rushed to her town on Wednesday because, for the first time since my dad was born, my Gramma was taken to the hospital. She's home safely now and should be fine with the medications the doctor gave her. This whole week has just brought an onslaught of childhood memories for me. As is typical for me, I was calm as a cucumber in the situation but have been feeling the emotional toll since it's all been over and Briana and I headed back home. (thanks for talking to me the WHOLE drive, Dad!)
Tonight, I'm longing to be a kid again, back at that little white farm house of Red and Ileen's when my Gramma was as healthy as we were, my mom was healthier and laughing, my dad was enjoying every aspect of his life and my uncle Red and Aunt Ileen were relishing the fact that we were all there with him. I want to open my eyes and be sitting in our van, with Gramma in there with us and us turning off the highway onto that long dirt road. I want to go across that red cattle guard one more time and see that windmill that was in their yard. I want to see and hear their dogs barking and watch Red and Ileen come running out of that house as fast as they could to greet us at the car. I want to sit on that porch and smell the wonderful smells coming from her kitchen where Ileen & Gramma were cooking. The only catch is this time I want my kids there with me. I want them to have those memories. I know time ages us all and catches up with us way before we are ever ready for it too. I just miss those days and so never want to forget how wonderful that all was. And I pray that my sister and I can pass along similar memories to our kids along with the amazing legacy of the love in our family. Sleep tight, Gramma - I love you so much and we'll be back in a few weeks.
1 comment:
awww, this is SO touching! I felt the same way when I went to Indiana for my grandfather's funeral. I stood in the backyard where they lived for so many years, the house he BUILT with his sons, and just bawled and bawled. I agree - it's up to us to carry on the legacy of love and family values.
Post a Comment